Wednesday

The 'sweet' season - Goad Bhaat

Come the month of October and my sensible, calorie counting self bows down before my indulgent, guilt free one. Burfis, ladoos, halwas... how can a mere human (and a weak one at that!) summon up the will to resist? She can't, and that's that.

January 1 is the official "stop hogging" day my friends, till then lets all dig into the butter laden, sinfully rich and downright delightful treats that herald the festive season.

khich4final

I think dishes like these highlight the versatility in Indian cuisine. For instance a rice and moong dal combination is used to make a savory, comforting khichdi as well as a rich dessert like this one.

Having seen this dish on other blogs I know that it is called pongal in the South. We call it 'goad bhaat' or sweetened rice; variations of this dish include kesari bhaat (saffron rice), narali bhaat (coconut rice) and sakhar bhaat (sugary rice). These dishes are all considered quite special and made only on festive occassions.

GOAD BHAAT (Sweet Rice)
(serves 4-5)
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup yellow moong dal
3/4 cup grated jaggery (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup grated coconut
6-7 green cardamoms, peeled and powdered
8-10 cashews, broken into pieces
a pinch of saffron dissolved in 1/2 cup warm milk
2-3 tbsp ghee

Wash rice and moong dal in 2-3 changes of water. Drain thoroughly and spread on a plate to dry for 20 minutes.

Heat ghee in a deep saucepan. Roast the dal and rice on low heat until glazed and aromatic.

Add two cups of water and half cup of saffron milk. Cook till rice and dal are well done and mushy.

Mash well so they lose their shape. Add grated jaggery, powdered cardamoms and coconut. Stir and cook on low heat until jaggery is well dissolved and the mixture becomes homogenous.

Heat a tablespoon of ghee in another pan. Roast cashews until they turn golden and add to rice.

Spoon into individual bowls and serve warm with a drizzle of ghee.

Entry for - JFI - Ghee/ Butter hosted by Cooking Medley

Tags:

30 Comments:

Blogger Luv2cook said...

Ashwini -

Beautiful pic. I can sure include it in the round up. I will do that this evening when I get home!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh the bhath looks lovely Ashwini. Superb pictures :).

3:18 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

WOW...the diversity in our cuisine is just splendid...Pongal was my entry to the event..but the both our recipes have a subtle variation to them adding their own distinct flavors. Wonderful pics too :-)

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ashwini, this sounds so delicious! What a beautiful photo too! I can see why it's considered special.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so agree that we really start pigging out now and it wont end till new year...oh well, let us try to work out.
Similar to POngal and yet so different...

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely picture Ashwini !

Love that golden color of the Bhaat and those beautiful little plates !

6:21 PM  
Blogger Luv2cook said...

Ashwini -

It is on the round up! Thanks for participating!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

What a beautiful photo. Very appealing and yes, wants me to dig right in and eat it.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Latha said...

Ashwini, where do u get all these exotic looking utensils and spoons etc. :-)
Lovely picture and equally yummy recipe.
Cheers
Latha

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Ashwini
Thats very nice sweet

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Sam - I know my entry is really late so thanks for accommodating me.
Shilpa, Linda, Priya - thanks
Priya - you are so right about the variations. Everytime I think a recipe is specific to our state I see versions of it on different blogs!
Shankari - come on, don't spoil the mood and talk about work outs :-)
Shaheen go ahead and dig in :-)
Latha - I am attracted to weird shaped plates and bowls thats all...they aren't exotic, got them in the neighbourhood Asian store :-)
Saritha - welcome to my blog. Thanks!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Ashwini,
Lovely picture. Different way of making "sarkkarai pongal". Thanks for sharing.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Mahek said...

ashwini
plates konatya aheet
agadii traditional vatatat
colour sunder ahee

5:32 AM  
Blogger Anupama said...

Beautiful Dish and Beautiful Picture Ash. The goad bhaat is too tempting

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said my friend!! indeed, who can resist such sweet temptations :)

cheers!

10:05 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Wonderful pics and somany sweet rice dishes!! Simple and delicious!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Meena Kandlakuti said...

Ashwini,

I have seen you blog completely each and every recipe..all pictures and recipes and the way you present them...really I started admiring your blog and you for sharing such a nice recipes..thanks a lot for sharing them.I added you in my food bloggers.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is too short to ration on delicious desserts such as this, looks absolutely beautiful and inviting!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Nabeela said...

kill me now Ashwini, just kill me :)...I can't stand looking at the GORGEOUS tempting photos you always put up online...mouth-watering, super-delicious & so easy to make!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

MT, Anupama, Asha - thanks
Mahek - not traditional at all. They are from an Asian store
Saffron - I am dreading/ eagerly waiting for the goodies in store on blogs this month :-)
Meena - thanks for your kind words. I dropped by your blog too; good work!
Monisha - thanks! Life is all about good food isnt it?!
Nabby dear - you are so funny! But serves you right for tempting us with your iftar treats :-)
Its super easy give it a try when you are off your baking phase!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that picture didn't even let my eyes stray downwards to read what you've written...the best photograph on your blog so far - the art direction is simply superb...

Well, recipe I shall check out sometime later, this comment is exclusively for your photography Ashwini..

Wishing you and family a very happy festive season

2:49 AM  
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Ashwini,
Looks like 'sakkarai pongal' made in a different way. wonderful presentation ..Thanks

8:41 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Nandita thanks for your lovely words! Seasons greetings to you and your family too
Prema - thanks

12:00 PM  
Blogger Manjusha Nimbalkar said...

Hey Ashwini,

Lovely post. Just the other day, i had goad Bhath made by my friends mom who was visiting US. Culdnt get bck to her for the recipe and hey there u go with the recipe.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

Thot I should let u know that since you asked me to dig in, I made it yesterday and really loved it.The slight bite of coconut with the richness of the rice reminds me of temple prasadam.thanks..

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Shaheen - I really did tempt you then didnt I? :-)
So glad you liked the rice..and thanks for writing to me about it.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Chandrika said...

Lovely picture and delicious recipe, Ashwini!! :-)

5:21 PM  
Blogger Krithika said...

Very similar to sweet Pongal as MT has pointed out. Looks delicious and lovely pics !

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this for Diwali pooja. Very tasty and not too sweet, goad bhaat had a very nice aroma.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Chandrika, Krithika - thanks
Priya - I am so glad you liked the dish. Its perfect for the ongoing festive season isnt it?

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page