Friday

Something Borrowed - Egg Curry

Remember when I mentioned here that we had family visiting? Though I didn't find the time to blog at the time, I did manage to finagle a couple of choice recipes from my sister in law. Like this egg curry.

Eggs are the quintessential stand by in my home, whether it's for breakfast or for dinner. Like potatoes, they help me delay a visit to the grocery store! But that's not the only reason this curry has become a favorite. It tastes just lip smackingly great - who'd have thought poaching eggs would make such a big difference to the flavor?

Grind masala, make gravy and break eggs. Is that it? Well, almost. The meat masala you use will make or break the curry. My meat masala comes from my mother in law and the lazy cook that I am, I have never bothered to ask her for a recipe! But a good quality meat (red not brown) masala should suffice.

Eat sitting cross legged on the floor, with pao or thick rotis, while imagining the scent of wood fired stoves and wet hay in the air - it's that kind of a hearty, rustic dish.

eggcurry2

EGG CURRY
(serves 2)
1/2 medium size onion, chopped
1 medium size tomato, chopped (kokum if you have it works too)
2-3 eggs
salt to taste
oil
For the masala -
1/2 onion, sliced
1/3 cup grated coconut
6-8 stalks of fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp fresh ginger garlic paste
1 tsp of meat/ Malwani masala

Heat half a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till it begins turning golden brown. Next add grated coconut and cilantro. Saute on medium heat until the coconut is toasted and the cilantro wilted.

Grind these ingredients in a blender along with ginger garlic paste and meat masala. Add water as required. Keep aside.

In a deep bottomed sauce pan (so the eggs remain intact) heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the chopped onion and saute till it turns golden. Add tomato and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut masala and stir until it loses some of its moisture.

Next add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to get desired consistency and salt. Bring to a boil on moderate heat. Break an egg into a small bowl, then tip into the pan gently from the side. Repeat with remaining eggs. Lower heat and bring to a second boil.

Check to see if eggs are well done. Simmer for a few minutes, garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve hot.

* Add red chilli powder if you want a spicy curry

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini, that's the first time I've seen a recipe for egg curry where the eggs are actually poached, so to speak, *in* the gravy. Can't wait to try it! Also, I am loving your serving bowl in this photo -- is that what is called a handi? As usual, a yummy recipe and a mouthwatering pic :)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never ever tried making egg curry without boiling the eggs. Sounds different.
-Sushma

7:14 PM  
Blogger Manjula said...

Nice recipe for the gravy. I love egg curries where the egg is poached in the gravy/sauce. It absorbs lots of flavors.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was with you as I read the onion-coconut part and wondered what was different...and then whoa! What a super twist! (The 'cooking of eggs in the curry hadn't quite registered!)

We love the regular egg curry and like in your home, at least one evening meal in a week is eggs and bread.

I'll be in touch with you soon to do the 6 degrees of separation bit! ;-)

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Linda - most curries have hard boiled eggs in them. I prick mine with a fork so they absorb more masala, but cooking/ poaching in the curry itself? Takes the taste to a whole new level :-) Yes this is a copper bottom handi...I got it in an Indian store and use it to serve dals/ curries etc.

Sushma - it is different!

Manjula - True, the curry almost tastes like a meat dish because of it

Manisha - I know, the masala is quite common isnt it? But the twist is pretty good. Looking forward to your mail - the 6 degrees theory is just the thing for a hopeless romantic like me!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

I have eaten this sort of curry before (in a rustic setting no less) but never actually made it. It goes straight on my list of recipes to try!

6:21 AM  
Blogger FH said...

I love any kinda egg dishes.Your's look soo good and if I could I would have stolen that Kadai you have there!!Really!!:D

8:07 AM  
Blogger TasteTV said...

It sounds delicious!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Anupama said...

Hi Ash, I just dropped by your blog and I just loved the egg curry. I have eaten this poached egg curry and it is really yum. What realy caught my attention is the green harbara chaat. The pic is mind-blowing. Great post.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't eat eggs...but the dish looks devine...great recipe...I will pass it on to my brother...he eats eggs...i am sure he will love it...~smile~

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is definitely a very interesting way of making Egg Curry, Ashwini! Looks delicious, I must try it!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sri said...

Ashwini egg curry looks delicious...Is different.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Mishmash ! said...

Ashwini, I have to say this. I love your kadai's and dishes :)Great choice:)

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,
what a coincidence...even i just blogged about egg curry two days back, but yours is of course with a twist to it..will try this definitely :-)

2:51 AM  
Blogger Moitreyee said...

I make a similar egg-curry at home with cubed potatoes, but without the coconut - and it tastes great too... only I break the eggs gently into the boiling curry, instead of doing it in another dish and then transferring it - might get messier than predicted here.
Will give this coconut variety a try soon. Thanks Ashwini.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ashwini,
I made egg curry tonite It's a simple,great tasting and super fast recipe. I was able to put dinner on the table in fifteen minutes.Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
--Kanchan .

11:39 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

No problem Kanchan. I am glad you liked it.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To join the chorus: poaching eggs in curry is brilliant, and markedly enhances the flavour of the eggs and the curry.

Often, after making and eating a chicken curry, there is quite a bit of gravy left, though the chicken has been gobbled up. Rather than throwing it away, I have been poaching an egg in the remaining gravy the following day. I just did this with a Dhansak from last night, adding a bit of bhaingan as well. It came out marvelously. Thanks for the great idea and recipe!

3:51 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Glad you liked the dish Aatish

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw this exact photo here being pictured as Goan Egg Curry

6:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi
This curry is awesome, i use to call this curry as "Vengurla Egg curry" cos during my Konkan trip i had this curry at my konkani friends house....but now i will call it Ashwini Egg curry ..you made it Global....cheers!!!!

Vijay

9:40 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Vijay - Vengurla rocks! Not just in food but the beaches, the people, the landscape :)
I am glad you found the egg curry here.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page